"Our soul must perform two duties. The one is that we must reverently wonder and be surprised. The other is that we must gently let go and let be." Julian of Norwich

...Cancer teaches both!!!

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Unexpected Blessings & Simple Joys

A friend of mine in the cancer community expressed a hope for me today... that I might find "unexpected blessings" and "simple joys".   As I read his note this morning I was just hoping that I would have the energy to finish my bran flakes!  But it has turned out to be a day filled with unexpected blessings and simple joys!

---------------

To begin with, the debilitating fatigue which has plagued me for the last week is gone!  Cause enough for celebration!

Shortly after breakfast I had an unexpected call from daughter Kelly.  She had no classes until this evening and time to spend with Dad!  Always a blessing and a joy! We decided we would take in the meditation session at InspireHealth, "do lunch" on Granville Island, and have an afternoon stroll on the Seawall.  A good plan!



We met on the bus downtown and had a totally awesome hour of meditation with 20 other cancer pilgrims at InspireHealth, my integrated cancer care community.  Such an incredible experience to find inner peace and outer stillness in the midst of our busy city lives, and to do so with others!   For me, today, to simply SIT (without pain), and to be AWAKE (without dozing), was blessing and joy enough!

Feeling both "at peace" and"energized", Kelly and I walked down to Granville Island where our "Netloft Lunch" was serenaded by a couple of maritime musicians playing a joyfully simple set of "jigs" and "reels".

A further treat was the "ferry ride" across the calm waters of False Creek. The view out from English Bay was beautiful.   There was a light off-shore fog partially obscuring the ships at anchor.  Otherwise the sky was mixed, cloud and clear, with warm sunshine prevailing.



Every view along the Seawall was a gorgeous palate of reds, oranges, greens, browns, and yellows.  The leaves are falling but the color in the trees is still spectacular.  A few more days perhaps!



We walked the Seawall along English Bay, past our Sylvia Hotel to Second Beach and then went around "Lost Lagoon" on our way back to the Westend Condo.  The last, and most unexpected, blessing was a beautiful Swan dance which I have never seen before.  Two large male Mute Swans, with wings preened, were turning synchronized circles, pirouettes really, in a very elaborate dance.  We were amazed!




This was truly a good day.  

Joyfully blessed...   Rob; in Vancouver

"It is the sweet, simple things of life
which are the real ones after all."
Laura Ingalls Wilder

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rob...thanks so much for sharing your day with Kelly with all of us. It was so special to read about your day together...I felt like I was there! Truly a day filled to the brim with unexpected blessings and simple joys.

Anonymous said...

By the way...that was me...Sandra.

:)

beth said...

sounds like a wonderful day! Glad you are feeling more awake!! :-) all that sleeping means your body was hard at work!! :-)
xox

Anonymous said...

that sounded like a truly wonderful day. yay for Rob and yay for Kelly's call and company!

--Colin

Patteee said...

thanks so much for letting me witness your day! It sounded like a slice of warm pie, with vanilla ice cream on top :)
I love your blog Rob, I feel so peaceful after I have visited- you are truly an inspiration for all of us. Thank you
Patteee