"Our soul must perform two duties. The one is that we must reverently wonder and be surprised. The other is that we must gently let go and let be." Julian of Norwich

...Cancer teaches both!!!

Friday, October 23, 2009

My Vist to the Oncologist!

One of the highlights in the life of "one-living-with-cancer" is the periodic visit to the Oncologist!  This happens at varous intervals depending on where one happens to be on the journey.  For myself, I am now done the radiation program so it was off to the Oncologist on Thursday to see what's next.  Kelly was my faithful driver and companion, now that Robyn is back in Edmonton!  (We miss you Robyn!  Bung says HI too!)

Bloodwork

No visit to the oncologist is complete without "bloodwork".  I had mine taken on Wednesday to make sure the results were in my Onc's hands by Thursday.  They usually take 4 vials and get results for various blood counts, kidney and liver enzymes, and tumour markers.  I used to diligently get copies of all this for my own file!  Now I'm not so interested!This week I had the added honour of providing a urine sample as well!

The Visit
I have one of the best Oncologists in the world, Dr. K.  He is very well regarded internationally and considered to be one of the best.  Dr. K is up to speed on the latest developments, actively involved in clinical trials, and very creative when it come to his work with Chemotherapy.  So far I have done two major rounds of chemo with Dr. K and I'm probably looking at number 3!

I think Dr. K has another 10,000 patients besides myself!  Fortunately he wasn't seeing them all on Thursday.  But there were plenty enough in the waiting room!   We waited for the standard 45 minutes after the appointed time and finally it was my turn! 

Dr. K wants to check my tumour to see if it is likely to be effectively killed by Erbitux, which is not really a "Chemo", but like a chemo.  Anyways it is very effective IF your tumour type matches.  I believe this to be true because I personally know folks who have been on it for years and haven't died yet.  So, again, we wait and see!



Overall though, Dr. K was very positive.  He says that either way we will "mop-up" whatever the radiation didn't get!  I like his attitude and am very glad to have him as my Onc!  

PET Scan
In the meantime he would like to send me to Alberta for a PET Scan. (PET Scan)  He wants me to go to Alberta because it takes way too long to get one in BC where we only have one publicly funded PET Scan machine.  Lucky Alberta has three!!  And it is too expensive to go to the States or elsewhere to get one privately!  So I'm waiting to see when I go to Alberta!



So that was my day at the Oncologist!  I finished it all up with a lovely session of Healing Hands and was home in time for lunch and a nap!

The End...

Rob; in Vancouver

"I'm going to beat this cancer...
...or die trying."
Michael Landon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update, Rob. That particular 'chemo' sounds very promising. When will you head to Alberta for the Pet Scan...will you drive or fly? We're going to be down in Van in mid-November. Did I mention that already? Anyway...thanks again for keeping us all up to date. We SO appreciate your blog.

Best, Sand xo

Anonymous said...

Best of luck with finding a time for the PET scan. It's too bad BC doesn't have adequate facilities to give you a reasonable timeline of treatment.

It's really great to hear you have a good relationship with your doctors. Too often I hear about people having antagonistic relationships with healthcare professionals. Your confidence in your Oncologist sounds really positive.

All the best,

Andrew, Jessica, Penelope