"Our soul must perform two duties. The one is that we must reverently wonder and be surprised. The other is that we must gently let go and let be." Julian of Norwich

...Cancer teaches both!!!

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Guest House - Rumi


This being human is a guest house
Every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still treat each guest honorably.

He may be clearing you out for some new delight.
The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

RUMI 1207-1273



1 comment:

Leslie vanB said...

Rob

This is one of my favorite Rumi poems.
As I've read it over the years it has provided a wonderful structure to reflect the depths of whatever experience I was having. Certainly having stage 4 rectal cancer has tested my welcoming of whatever shows up on my path (yes I'll have a little bit of reflection but this life/death thing-ah, not so much). Thanks so much for being a part of the ACS semi-colon community and for all that you bring to it. Your reflections and quotes often help me get through my day.

Leslie