"Our soul must perform two duties. The one is that we must reverently wonder and be surprised. The other is that we must gently let go and let be." Julian of Norwich

...Cancer teaches both!!!

Saturday, September 26, 2009

My Biscuits are Burning!!



"OUCH!! MY BISCUITS ARE BURNING!!
FIRE IN THE HATCH!!
OUCH! OOCH! EECH!
GREEN HORNY TOADS, THAT SMARTS!!"
Yosemite Sam


Bugs Bunny & the Road-Runner Hour was a Saturday night staple in our home while I was growing up. The Saturday Night family ritual always included some combination of Bugs Bunny, Hockey Night in Canada, and the best homemade pizza in the world made by my Dad!
I remember an episode with Yosemite Sam harassing Bugs Bunny and winding up with his pants on fire, giving rise to the exclamation above... "My Biscuits are Burning!"


That's a little bit of how I'm feeling after my second dose of radiation at the BC Cancer Agency! I've got a slight, but noticable, burn happening in my butt. I don't want to give you too much information but wanted you to know that this is a GOOD THING and serves as a pleasant reminder to me that cancer cells are being killed!! Yes they are! And it's about time!

During the procedure I receive 3 blasts of radiation, about 15 seconds each, directed at my sacrum and rectum from three different angles. This concentrates three times the power of one blast at the focus of interest, in this case the tumour in my sacrum/rectum. Three different approaches are used to minimize the damage to healthy tissue along each of the radiation paths. Pretty clever if you ask me!

Yesterday I was lucky to be driven and accompanied by my beautiful daughter Morgan, who got a full tour and was able to observe the whole procedure. She was duly impressed. As was I. Morgan's pictures will accompany this post after she e-mails them to me... (Ahem!)



Yesterday was truly another great day on the journey, ending up watching silhouettes on the beach at the Sylvia Hotel with my gorgeous wife Pam, and daughter Kelly and her friend.

Life is good! Rob; in Vancouver
"We are continually faced with great opportunities
which are brilliantly disguised as unsolvable problems."
Margaret Mead

2 comments:

Daria said...

Totally lived it ... Bugs Bunny and then Hockey Night in Canada.

Take care.

Dennis Pyritz, RN said...

Great Blog! You are a credit to the cancer blogging community. I have added you to my blogroll, “Cancer Blog Links” with over 600 other cancer blogs at www.beingcancer.net, a cancer networking site featuring a cancer book club, guest blogs, cancer resources and more. Please stop by and visit. If you like the site, please consider adding Being Cancer to your blogroll.
Take care, Dennis