"Our soul must perform two duties. The one is that we must reverently wonder and be surprised. The other is that we must gently let go and let be." Julian of Norwich

...Cancer teaches both!!!

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Chemo Plan - Finally!

Finally!  It starts!    Not that chemo is ever something that you WANT to do, it is good to be getting started.

I begin tomorrow with a program of Erbitux, the growth inhibitor I mentioned earlier, and Irinotecan, a chemotherapy drug I have taken twice before.  Both of these medicines will be administered by way of an intravenous infusion which I will receive at the North Vancouver Cancer Clinic.


This is how Erbitux works!


I'm familiar with the side-effects of Irinotecan,  nausea, severe diarrhea, suppression of the immune system (low white blood cells), and hair loss (sometimes).  Erbitux is known particularly for a nasty skin rash on the face, head, chest, shoulders, and back.  The trick with chemo is to manage the side-effects in such a way as to continue with the chemo program.

The plan is for me to receive these medicines once every two weeks for 20 weeks.  10 treatments in all.  If I am able to stick with it the treatments will be finished in mid-April.  It is a long program. 

Stay tuned for updates!

Rob; in Vancouver

"Yesterday I decided to go to the office.
I got as far as the bedroom door.
Chemo strikes."
Peter Jennings

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rob, Good news, I am on my 4th cycle this week. Things going good. I've been viewing all the Lance Armstrong "Livestrong videos " and my bloodwork is good. Just manage the rash and lets fight baack for awhile. It feels good to have a plan.

Anonymous said...

Strange that we need to kill our body to stay alive. But keeping the long term perspective in mind will help to get you through the tough times. Wish I was there to help take your mind off the side-effects.

Always thinking of you,

Love Robyn
XOXOXOXOXOX