"Our soul must perform two duties. The one is that we must reverently wonder and be surprised. The other is that we must gently let go and let be." Julian of Norwich

...Cancer teaches both!!!

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Beatles in Vancouver

“August 22, 1964 Vancouver BC - Beatles give their first Canadian concert in Empire Stadium before 20,000 fans; hosted by DJ Red Robinson and broadcast live over radio station CKNW; play songs from their new album “Something New”; top ticket price $5.25; police cut concert short after 27 minutes, fearing a riot; bootlegged tapes of the show widely distributed.”


Wow! I’ll bet that was a concert. 43 years ago. Anybody out there who was at the concert?

I’m a great Beatle fan. So is my daughter Morgan I went to a Rain (Beatles Tribute Band) concert a couple of years ago and was amazed how many young folks were there. Half the house was under 30… the other half was us old farts like me. It was enjoyed by all.


I’ve posted a video of the Vancouver interview with the “Fab Four” and a cute music clip of “And I Love Her” with photo’s of some of Hollywood’s beautiful stars of the 60’s. How many can you recognize?

Enjoy… Rob; in Vancouver

“There are places I remember all my life, though some have changed. Some forever, not for better, some have gone and some remain.” The Beatles

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, i was at that beatles concert way back in 64 at empire stadium. it was the first concert i ever attended and it broke ground for all the others like hendrix, the stones, the doors, cream, taj mahal, moody blues, led zepplin...i could go on and on.
but it was the beatles at empire stadium in the summer of 64 that started it all. i could not hear much of anything because of all the screaming. i did hear paul introduce, 'long tall sally.' i remember throwing a box of jelly babies up on the stage after the concert in the futile hope that it would get to george. i remember seeing stretchers with teens lining the hallways of the stadium on the way out. the saint john's ambulance nurses were working overtime that night. days after the concert there was a contest at CFUN for 'george water.' i won one of those george water prizes which was leftover soapy water in a vial. one of the disc jockeys met harrison, shook his hand and then washed his hands, supposedly. i kept it for years. to this day i remember that concert and thank my mother for standing in line to get the tickets for my friend katherine and myself. i would not have missed it for the world.

David M said...

When I was 12 years old, I played in a drum and bugle corps that marched in the Pacific National Exposition (PNE) parade in Vancouver, on the same day as the Beatles concert. Our reward for marching for miles on a very hot day was being free to roam the Exposition. We needed no parental supervision in those days. A few of the girls in our group had gone to the concert the night before in Seattle. We were all green with envy.

I couldn't believe our luck when my friend Mike and I happened across a tent selling tickets to the concert. We walked right up, no line, and plunked down our entire bankroll, over $5.00, which seemed like a lot of money at the time. Our investment paid a huge dividend, a memory to last a lifetime. The four or five hour wait in line was well worth it. Watching multitudes of frenetic and hormonally charged teenage girls was a huge part of the show for us.

I don't recall the events as clearly as the other writer, but what I do remember was the utter pandemonium. The stadium floor was lined with park benches, which were later piled one atop each other by those hoping for a better view. Little did anyone realize that there were young girls buried beneath them. Injured kids were everywhere, it seemed, but no one was paying much attention.

If it wasn't for the excitement, I may have been horrified. Everyone was caught up in it. What I also remember were the half dozen or so police cars on the infield track near the stage with their wheels stolen, immobilized. Vancouver was not prepared for what unfolded that day, and neither were we. My friend and I even rushed the stage to get a closer look at Ringo's drums.

I'd really like to know who the other groups were that opened the show. One might have been Jackie DeShannon, but it didn't really matter. We saw the Beatles and now others could be jealous of us.

Diane said...

I was at the Beatles concert in 1964. I think we paid $3.25 or $4.25 for the ticket. My dad dropped us off and said "don't leave your seats". Yeah, right. As soon as the Beatles hit the stage my friend leaped out of her seat and went into the mob "now called a "mosh pit". She almost got stomped on. I remember the Righteous Bros. coming on stage and Dusty Springfield. A short concert but well worth the memories. I bought a Beatles lunch kit and a purse for my friend's 60th birthday memory.

A great time, when you are 15! Wish I still had the ticket.

Diane