"Our soul must perform two duties. The one is that we must reverently wonder and be surprised. The other is that we must gently let go and let be." Julian of Norwich

...Cancer teaches both!!!

Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Celebrate Life

I’ve always enjoyed life’s celebrations, big and small. Birthdays, weddings, baptisms, Christmas, New Years, Easter, anniversaries and all of the many special days that mark our passage through time and life have always been meaningful to me. I think there is something inherently important about marking life’s passages and celebrating life’s significant events.

But these events have taken on increased significance for me since being diagnosed with cancer. I feel that my appreciation of life’s frailty and brevity has been deepened since being diagnosed. I no longer take any day, any year, or the future for granted. Each day is a gift, each moment a blessing. Each passage and event is worthy of being lived deeply.

This past weekend we celebrated one of life’s great moments with my daughters wedding. Family and friends gathered from Florida, Georgia, Cape Cod, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta, and throughout British Columbia for a wonderful long-weekend of celebration and feasting. It has been an absolute blast and I have enjoyed every tear and laughter filled moment. The day itself was grand, the service awesome, and the parade from the church to the reception with noise-makers and streamers a true delight! The reception, overlooking English Bay, was a wonderful feast with great fun and dance. The many events on either side of the wedding day itself rounded out a great Canada Day weekend of connecting and celebrating. Through it all we sang and danced, giving thanks for the gifts of family, friends, and the special love that brings two people together, body, mind, and soul.

I am so grateful to have been able to share my daughter’s wedding day with her. An extra week off chemo meant that I had good energy and could handle the long days. It’s been truly great to have this respite of celebration in the otherwise day-to-day regimen and tedium of chemo.

Several years ago, shortly after being diagnosed, I was visited by a wise and gifted colleague. As I shared with her my struggles around adjusting to life with cancer I asked, not really expecting an answer, “How do I live now?” My friend reflected for a moment and said simply and gently… “I think you have to do what’s life-giving.” Her words have been with me since that day, along with the questions from time-to-time, “Is this life-giving?” or “What is Life –giving in this moment?” or "How can I let this be life-giving?" Ultimately we have to discern what is “life-giving” for ourselves and choose the path that is sustaining in the midst of whatever we are going through.

Working with my daughter as she has planned her wedding, and sharing in this past weekend as we celebrated it, has definitely been LIFE-GIVING for me. As I said in my welcome to the guests at the dinner… “It’s times like this we can say… IT’S DAMN GOOD TO BE ALIVE!!”

Still Celebrating in Vancouver… Rob;

“Life is short, and we do not have much time to gladden the hearts of those who travel the way with us. So let us be swift to love, and make haste to show kindness.” Henri Amiel

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Rob and family,

It was so great on Saturday to know that your daughter was being married - and that the weather was so wonderful in Vancouver for the celebration (would summer never start?). I hope someone was taking pictures of the parade from the church to the Sylvia.

Your blog is so amazing to read each day - your spirit is so uplifting to those of us who feel we are walking this journey with you.

Looking forward to hearing you preach on Sunday!

Roberta

Anonymous said...

Hi Rob, i'm also a grateful reader of your life sharing thoughts. Wishing you, Pam and family all the best. only a lurker at this time, Ruby, still needing to get on arranging an identity

Anonymous said...

Rob and Rob's beautiful daughter,

I'm so happy to read such wonderful news of a happy celebration of life and love.

As a newlywed still enraptured in wedded bliss, I wish you all the abundance that God, the Universe and life are waiting to give you and your family.

Congratulations to the bride and groom, and your loving mothers and fathers. Love strong, live strong and be well always.

Katie - from CSN

Anonymous said...

Hi Rob,

Which daughter got married? That is so awesome!!! Congrats to the whole Pollock clan!

Luv ya lots.

Leah xox

Anonymous said...

So great to read your posts!
I love your ideas...that we have to decern what is live giving for ourselves!
You always give me something new to think about.
Thank you
Love, Robyn